WASHINGTON, D.C. --
The mainstays of any glossy publication worth reading on newsstands today, fashion and photography are integral components of every issue of Washingtonian
The September 2012 issue of Washingtonian.
Yet, during the month of September each year, such stylish underpinnings take on an even more important role as “the magazine Washington lives by” reveals its annual list of the city’s most fashionable residents.
Washingtonian Fashion Editor Kate Bennett and her husband Cab Bennett.
Carefully curated by Kate Bennett
, the publication’s Fashion Editor and the Editor in Chief of Washingtonian Bride & Groom
, this year’s ‘Style Setters’ index cuts a wide swath across the District’s citizenry, with everyone from TV anchors to bar managers to nurses profiled.
2012 Style Setter Becca Thorsen with Tyler Boyd at the 2012 Ball on the Mall.
This year’s Style Setters list features:
- Sai Sankoh: A cheerful nurse by day and the blogger behind the Because I Am Fabulous website by night.
- Bob Schieffer: The chief Washington correspondent for CBS News and the moderator of the Face the Nation Sunday morning political program.
- Elizabeth Baker Keffer: The president of AtlanticLive and vice president of Atlantic, this media executive draws her fashion inspiration from her late aunt, former PA lieutenant governor Catherine Baker Knoll.
- Erik Bruner-Yang: The executive chef at uber popular H Street hotspot Toki Underground.
- Barbara Martin and Jayne Sandman: Together the duo behind D.C. public relations powerhouse BrandLinkDC organizes and throws some of Washington’s best events for clients like Kiehl’s, the W Washington D.C. hotel, Room & Board, and UrbanDaddy.
- Marc Adelman: The founder of Adelmania Consulting has been building relationships and making introductions in Washington for 11 years and can often be spotted about town in the company of a former President or Hollywood celebrity.
- Becca Thorsen: A business development coordinator at her family’s construction company, this Alexandria native is a style staple at events targeted at D.C.’s young professionals. Thorsen also occasionally contributes a ‘best dressed’ list to the D.C. edition of nightlife blog Guest of a Guest.
- Jonathan Fain: The bon vivant beverage director at popular 14th Street bar and restaurant Bar Pilar isn’t afraid to rock a vintage scarf in the middle of a Washington summer heat wave.
- Nayan Patel: A graduate of Georgetown Law, this hotelier’s Your DC Hotels company owns more than a dozen properties throughout the DMV.
- Brandon Andrews: A legislative staffer to a high ranking Republican senator, the Alabama native also recently participated in the Mr. DC pageant.
- Heather Podesta: A lawyer turned uber lobbyist, the founder of Heather Podesta + Partners is an avid art collector and one of the primary drivers behind the Smithsonian’s acquisition of the original sketches behind Shepard Fairey’s iconic Barack Obama ‘Hope’ poster.
- John Carlson: This defenseman for the Washington Capitals is a huge fan of Georgetown shirtmaker Hugh & Crye.
- Christo Doyle: A vice president at Discovery Channel and the Emmy Award-winning producer behind shows like American Chopper and Jesse James: Outlaw Garage.
- Anchyi Wei: A veritable renaissance woman, Wei balances her daytime job as a web designer for a federal contracting firm with her passion for photography and jewelry design – all while serving as local painting party pioneer ArtJamz’s biggest supporter (her husband, Michael Clements, founded the firm).
For 2012, photographer Greg Powers
took over the city’s recently renovated Howard Theatre
to capture the fashionable trappings of the chosen fifteen honorees – all sporting signature looks that blended elements of international couture (e.g., Oscar de la Renta, Alexander McQueen) with local shopping mainstays (e.g., Neiman Marcus, Tiny Jewel Box).
2012 Style Setters Barbara Martin and Jayne Sandman flank ABC 7 anchor Pamela Brown at a party they organized for Gilt City at the W Washington,D.C. hotel.
When asked about her and business partner Jayne Sandman
both being named to this year’s Style Setters list, honoree Barbara Martin
replied: “We loved the fact that we got to shoot at The Howard Theatre, with Nectar Skin Bar and IPSA handling the makeup and hair. It was a fun BrandLinkDC day all around! The only thing better was getting to share the page with Marc Adelman
Marc Adelman jokes with fellow ’12 Style Setter honoree Jayne Sandman’s son, Owen Dufour.
Birds of a fashionable feather, after all, tend to flock together.